Friday 22 April 2016

Absorbing reads

I don't normally think of talking about the stuff I read but just lately I've met some right corkers...

The Mountains Of My Life, by Walter Bonatti.

Translated by Robert Marshall

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountains-Life-Penguin-Modern-Classics-ebook/dp/B003R7KY9A?ie=UTF8&keywords=the%20mountains%20of%20my%20life%20bonatti&qid=1461323270&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Image nicked from Amazon
This was a birthday present.

It follows the philosophy and climbing life of one of the world's greatest climbers from his first climb until his retirement. As I read about the situations he found himself in I found it very hard to put down.

The effects on his life of the controversy surrounding the ascent of K2, previously unknown to me, were totally shocking and the additional notes and contemporary references provided by Mr. Marshall greatly adds to the reader's understanding of the events described.

A good read.

Cold, by Ranulph Fiennes.



Image from Amazon.co.uk
Another image nicked from Amazon

 
I bought this on a whim from a charity shop in Wales.

Life at -45°C in a 28 knot wind where everything you excrete turns to ice: tears, sweat, breath....

As I read it at times I catch myself reading wearing a worried frown and a gaping mouth and I have to remember to blink and carry on breathing. So absorbing.

I'm only on chapter 2....

I like the fact there's not only 'the story', told with a dry humour, but also history, science and observations about the places visited.

Another good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment